Thriving Through New Motherhood: Essential Tips for Every New MumOct 27, 2023
Parenthood is a beautiful journey, but let's face it, it comes with its fair share of challenges—especially for new moms. Whether it's your first, second, or fifth child, the demands can feel overwhelming. From round-the-clock feedings to a mountain of nappy changes, and everything in between, your new bundle of joy requires your full attention. And when you factor in the needs of other children, family members, work, and the never-ending to-do list, it's easy to feel stretched thin.
But here's the good news: we're here to support you with a self-help guide tailor-made for new mums! Keep reading as we share valuable tips on how to prioritise self-care and protect your well-being, ensuring you have the energy and strength to give your little one the attention they deserve.
As a new mum, feeding your little one will become a regular part of your routine. Whether you choose to breastfeed or use a bottle, it's important to consider your own comfort and well-being during these moments.
- Choose a Comfortable Chair: Opt for a chair that provides good support and allows you to easily get up and down. Avoid chairs that are too low and encourage slouching, as this can strain your back.
- Mind Your Neck: While eye contact with your baby is precious, remember to give your neck some movement too. Light stretches during feeding can prevent soreness in your neck, back, and shoulders.
- Consider a Feeding Pillow: These pillows are a lifesaver, offering support for your baby's weight and allowing you to maintain that essential close contact without straining your arms and shoulders.
- Share the Feeding Duties: If possible, let your partner assist with feedings. This is especially relevant for bottle feeders and can provide you with much-needed breaks.
With endless nappy changes on the horizon, it's crucial to pay attention to your posture to protect your lower back.
- Invest in a Changing Table: Changing tables provide a raised surface, reducing the need for bending and awkward positions. This helps spare your lower back from unnecessary strain.
- Optimal Changing Height: Whether you're changing a nappy or dressing your baby, try to do so at a height where you don't have to hunch forward. Your back will thank you!
OTHER USEFUL TIPS
These additional tips are equally important for your well-being:
- Nap When Your Baby Naps: Taking advantage of your baby's naptime is key to conserving your energy and avoiding fatigue.
- Prioritise Nutrition: Remember to eat well and stay hydrated. Your well-being directly impacts your ability to care for your little one. Load up on nutritious foods and drink plenty of water.
- Incorporate Stretching: Focus on your shoulders, neck, and chest. Combat the natural tendency to slump forward by incorporating stretches into your routine. Open up your chest and hold for 30 seconds, repeating three times a day. Gentle shoulder shrugs and neck stretches can also provide relief.
- Make Time for Yourself: Don't hesitate to ask your partner, a grandparent, or a friend for help so you can take some well-deserved time to relax. Whether it's a bath, a book, or a moment of quiet, self-care is essential for your well-being during this busy period. You deserve it!
We trust that you've found these tips valuable and insightful as you embark on this incredible journey of motherhood. Remember, it's perfectly normal to have questions or uncertainties, especially when it comes to breastfeeding.
If you ever find yourself in need of guidance or further advice, don't hesitate to reach out. Our dedicated team is here to support you. You can call us anytime, and if you'd like to schedule an appointment with an IBCLC, with a special focus on aiding new mums and their precious babies during the early parenting phase, we'd be more than happy to assist you.
Everymum – https://www.everymum.ie/baby/expert-advice-5-practical-posture-tips-for-new-moms/
Women's Health Australia – https://www.womenshealth.com.au/prenatal-postnatal-posture
Your well-being matters to us, and we're here to support you every step of the way. Wishing you and your little one a journey filled with love, joy, and beautiful. moments.
Take a proactive step towards optimal development by scheduling an appointment – online or in-person. Our team are here to guide you through personalised strategies for your child.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.